Sunday, December 9th

      | | | | / Learn about your Home Detectors
New Resident Info
Contact Us
Our Volunteers
Pay Online
Detectors in your Home
Response Survey
Training Calendar Subscriber Program

Karns Community Info

Which detector would you like to learn about?

Smoke Detector
Carbon Monoxide Detector

Thanks to the National Fire Protection Association for the following information and links.

   Smoke Detectors

New information about Smoke Detectors

Smoke alarms aren't new. The technology has been around since the 1960s. The single-station, battery-powered smoke alarm, similar to the one we know today, became available to consumers in the 1970s. NFPA estimates that 93% of U.S. homes have at least one smoke alarm. They save so many lives that most states have laws requiring them in residential dwellings. So, why is all the attention being paid to smoke alarms this Fire Prevention Week? (more...) (*PDF format, 22 KB)

When and why your Smoke Detector should be changed

Smoke alarms are one of the most important safety features of your home. Properly installed, working smoke alarms will give you the early warning you need to safely escape from a fire. But how do you make sure your alarms are working? One important way is to replace them after 10 years. (more...) (*PDF format, 9 KB)

  Download Adobe Acrobat® free!

If you or someone you know needs a smoke detector and cannot afford one, the Knox County Fire Prevention Bureau can provide one. Please call 215-FIRE for more information.

Remember to change your clock and change your batteries!

  Carbon Monoxide Detectors

What you and your family should know about Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fossil fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment are possible sources of CO. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage could also produce dangerous levels of CO.

However, consumers can protect themselves against CO poisoning by installing CO alarms inside their homes; by properly installing, using, venting, and maintaining heating and cooking equipment; and by being cautious with vehicles or generators in attached garages. (more...) (*PDF format, 41 KB)

  Download Adobe Acrobat® free!

Magnify this site

Privacy and Security Notice
Karns Volunteer Fire Department
P.O. Box 7184
Knoxville, TN 37921
Voice: (865)691-1333
Emergency: 911

All content Copyright 1998-2018. All rights reserved.